Sunday, July 12, 2009

Green Eggs & Ham

Where do I begin with this one? The one thing that drives me most crazy about guys is when things are going well and you're both happy in a relationship whether it be the beginning, middle or end...they freak out. I mean seriously...just because we're having a great time doesn't mean I'm going home and adding to my wedding scrapbook (I don't really have one of those). I can't stand it! They automatically think that because we're girls that we are instantly falling in love with them, when yes we're smitten most of the time and talking to our girlfriends about you...a lot, but the majority of the time were prob bitching about something you do that drives us nuts.

This guy was a little like that. No matter how well things were going he always made a point to have to say "Well I'm still trying to figure things out". What a way to make someone feel good huh? I myself take awhile to figure things out when I'm dating someone but I don't bring it up all the time, I just roll with it.

We had a great relationship in the beginning. Soon after we met he got hired to do a job in a big city in the mid-west. I wasn't sure what was going to happen but I just was going to go day by day and see where it took us. The day before he was to leave, his parents were in town. I didn't think I was going to be able to see him then and had accepted it. But he called and wanted to get together so we did. Had a great time, I met his uncle...just a good night in general.

I had said to my girlfriend prior to this evening that I figured in a few months I would probably think about going up to visit him depending on where we were. Notice I said a few months...because I'm thinking ahead and not getting to excited too soon about the "right now". Well on the ride to dinner he says to me "I'm going to miss you! You have to come up and visit!" I was a little shocked he said that so soon but rolled with it.

Days go by and he leaves. Not two days go by that he doesn't say to me "I miss you. When are you coming up? Lets plan it". Again, I'm shocked because this is the guy who a week ago said "I'm still trying to figure things out". I just go with it and we start planning.

I go and visit the next month and we have fun. I'm planned to be there for 5 days. The day before I leave he asks me to stay longer and changes my flight to the following weekend to be on his flight for his trip back for the weekend.

As the week went on, the fact that we were in a small hotel room together for 10 days started taking its toll. I did not get any sleep while I was there because he snored like crazy. He never used to in FL but I don't know if it was the weather or something up there but man...it was rough on my sleep having to hear it. It got to the point where I made him sleep on the pull out couch in the hotel room because it made it easier to tune it out. Even then it was hard...

Months went by and his time up there was done and he moved back to FL full time. This was the first time we had ever been in the same city together seriously so I knew it was going to be an interesting ride for both of us. We went from seeing each other 4 days a month to almost everyday. I was loosing my mind. He's a nice guy but I need my space. He's the kind of guy that when I say something, he HAS to disagree. I don't believe that a couple should have the same views on everything but when its EVERYTHING, its a little too much to deal with. If I said the sky is blue, he would say it was grey...I couldn't deal.

A month or so went by and I had heard the "I'm still figuring this out" line a few more times but ignored it. I wanted to plan a fun lil' weekend for us to Cocoa because there was a night launch scheduled. He had never seen a shuttle launch and since the program was ending soon he would probably not be able to see one if we didn't go now. Plus, a night launch is the only and best way to watch it so we had to go! We were going to stay at a hotel the night before because traffic was going to be horrendous the day of then spend the day at the beach the following day then watch it from the beach. Being that he wanted to disagree he told me that we should just leave at 10 the next day and then come back that night. I just said fine because I knew he wasn't going to listen.

We leave to head over to the East Coast around 9 and around 10:30 he realizes hes hungry. Theres only one place Ive ever gone for breakfast back home and that's Kay's. So its the first place I thought of so I called my mom to see what time they stopped serving breakfast. We had plenty of time so I that's where we decided to go. Now, I had not planned on him meeting my family at this point. I wasn't ready for that so I just told my mom and she understood. Well, when I called her again to make sure we would make it in time she answered the phone laughing. Her, my father, step-mom and sister were at Kay's finishing up eating and were wanting to meet him. I was a little nervous because again, I wasn't planning it. He got quiet and just looked straight again. I apologized because I'm sure he got nervous about meeting everyone. I was nervous as well but thought, well it has been roughly 6 months that we've been dating so whats the big deal right?

Breakfast went smoothly, the we went to the beach soon after. He wanted to walk, I wanted to relax...that bothered him. Once again, something we disagreed on. The day went on and my dad called and asked if we wanted to watch the shuttle from the boat...possibly the best way to see it because you can get about a mile off of the launch pad so we said yes. While we were waiting for my dad at the boat ramp he expresses that he's bored. I couldn't believe it. Here I am trying to do something special for him, something that he wouldn't be able to experience again in this way and he tells me that hes bored.

Fuming from that I try and calm down as best I can because I'm just in shock of his lack of appreciation. We go see the launch, its beautiful, then we head back on the boat, in the dark...kinda scary but fun as well. While we were coming back we go under the bridge that takes you to the Space Center. It is bumper to bumper for about 7 miles...could be less could be more. At that moment I smile a little because I remember telling him how bad the traffic was going to be all day and he didn't believe me.

We start heading back shortly after and he expresses that he doesn't think the traffic will be that bad because it had been 2 hours since the launch had gone up. Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about right? I mean I only grew up there and over the years had seen about a million launches but... He had to disagree once again.

We get on the interstate and it looks like the traffic is surprisingly going very smoothly so... he kinda bows up a little because in his mind he's proved me wrong. Then...we go around the ramp and are actually on the interstate at this point and it is bumper to bumper as far as we can see. I then snuggle in my seat, pleased because like always I'm right (sort of kidding) and get ready for the long drive back. The first hour and 1/2 of the ride are in silence. I'm irritated, but not with the traffic but I'm running through my head that he had the nerve to tell me he was bored earlier.

I proceed to ask him what was wrong. He then starts to go on about how we just don't get along, he thinks its funny, then says "I just don't know how I feel" which is another way of saying "I'm still just trying to figure this out". I then loose it. I'm so tired of hearing his crap by this point that I can't take it anymore. He then brings up the fact that he didn't want to meet my family and knew I had planned it like that the whole time. I again loose it because I had said to him when I found out we were meeting them at dinner that I had known nothing about it, which was the truth. I quickly told him to get off of his pedestal and to get over himself as fast as he possibly could because I didn't WANT him to meet my parents. I had no planned that , they threw it on me when I called. He still didn't believe me. In my head now I'm thinking..."Who is this guy? What does he think is so special about him that I would sneak a meeting with my parents AFTER I told him I wasn't ready for that?!" But this goes back to him always having to disagree with everything I say or do...I'm fuming by this point.

We argue more and he then says the winner. "I just don't have the same feelings for you as I did for my ex girlfriend" WWHHHAAATTT??? The audacity I thought. Who says that? They dated YEARS prior and that was his first love. Who in their right mind would think that you're going to have the same feelings for someone else as you did for your first love. He didn't see that. I said to him that I was NOT his ex girlfriend (Shes trash), the kind of love for her he had is completely different than the kind he'll have for anyone else because 1. She was his first love so... duh, 2. You love people for different reasons, 3. Im NOT her so of course you're not going to have the same feelings. and 4. That was years ago..you're a different person now so I would think you would have a different mentality by now...but obviously not right?

I could go on for 6 more pages about the stupid things he said that night that made no sense but you get the gist. Once we got home from 4 hours of driving that normally takes 2, he was exhausted. I made him sleep on the couch and he left in the morning. I couldn't look at him the same after the things he said. Normally I get over things quickly but this I could not move past. He kept trying and trying but I wasn't having it. After awhile we tried to make it work. He soon found out that he was going to have to move sooner than he thought and was not going to have a place to stay. I let him stay with me for a few months and we soon started to drive each other nuts. He didn't care about finding a job, sat on the computer all day playing poker. When he wasn't playing poker online he was at the dog track playing. He had no ambition to do anything with him life and it drove me insane. I couldn't take it anymore. Everything he did drove me to drink. It wasn't anything too serious but because I was so irritated seeing him be lazy and hearing him laughing about being on unemployment I couldn't stand it any longer.

He soon decided that his best option was to move back home and live in his parents basement. Enough said...

1 comment:

Dodger's Mom said...

wow....i did not know all that!
I guess what they say is true... Its funny how things don't work out!!!